Monday, October 12, 2015

Iron Horse Half Marathon Review

So...it's been awhile. I know. I've left everyone hanging, including myself. I like blogging and running and drinking coffee, but I kind of lost myself this past year. Stress and anxiety have gotten the best of me. I'm hoping that I can finally drag myself out of the rut that I've been living in. I need to do something different, because what I have been doing, isn't working. I've always struggled with food. I've always been a food addict. It's a mental thing with me. I can only be strong for so long and then bam, it's over. Getting help and being supported by friends and family is my best course of action. This past year, my weight has fluctuated A LOT. At one point I was at 151 pounds, and now I'm at 161 pounds. To me that is devastating. It has been totally messing with my self esteem, self worth etc. To top it off, the weight gain has made me give up on my regular workouts, which only makes matters worse, I know. So, surprise, surprise, I was not ready for the half marathon I ran yesterday. I finished, but it was the slowest half that I have ever run. Other than the races that I have intentionally run slower to hit a certain pace. Yesterday, I finished in 2:44:44...and I struggled almost the entire way. I did, however wait in a porta-potty line well over 5 minutes, but that's a pretty bad excuse for my time. Seeing that time, made me realize, enough is enough. I have so many reasons to take better care of myself. My number one reason is for my son, my best little buddy in the whole world. Also, I want to be happy, and I'm most happy when I feel good about myself. So here I go...working on happiness.

Alright, on to the race review. 

This was my 9th half marathon, and my 2nd Iron Horse. This course now holds my fastest (2:25:25) and slowest (2:44:44) half times. It is a very well organized race and in beautiful Midway, KY.


I got up really early Sunday morning, and you see from the look on my face, I wasn't really feeling it. Oh well, I went anyway.

Midway is quite hilly, and the race consists of two out-and-back runs, starting and finishing in same place. It passes by lots of horse farms and is quite scenic.


I've always enjoyed running in Midway, but it has been a long time. I definitely need to come out here more often.


The race started right at 8:00 am and we were off. It was cold at the start, but warmed up quickly once the sun came out. 


I found myself really enjoying the scenery and the miles flew by quickly even though I had to pee (not enough porta-potties at all and the ones they had were way too far apart). 
I walked up several of the hills and ran when I could. By the time I got to mile 11, I couldn't wait to be done. I couldn't get to the finish line fast enough. Why? Cause I couldn't wait to see my bestie waiting for me.


(On a side note, this little guy just turned 5!! I can't believe it!)

The Iron Horse always has really neat medals and this year was no exception!


So, the moral of the story is I started and I finished. That's enough for now. Progress will come. I will improve.

Enjoy your week friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment