Sunday, June 1, 2014

Run For The Nun 5k Review

Happy Monday friends! The weekends always go by way too fast. I started my week off with some yoga. Hopefully, it will carry me through the rest of the day. I think it's going to be a tough day for me. 

Saturday morning, I ran the Run for the Nun 5k. I won a free registration for this race back in February. I'm not one to turn down a free race, so of course I jumped at the chance to participate. The race benefits the St. Vincent DePaul society that feeds the hungry; and is part of the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Country Fair. Oh, and I almost forgot, if you beat the running "Nun", you get a special prize. Of course, the Nun is way faster than I am, but it's all in fun anyway.
My ultimate goal is to run a 5k in under 30 minutes, but I was no where near ready for that this weekend. Plus, the week leading up to this race was a tough one. As I mentioned in my last post, I started Jillian Michaels newest fitness video, One Week Shred. It has you doing 2 workouts per day; strength in the morning, cardio in the evening. In other words, Jillian kicks your butt twice a day. I also included some short runs on Monday and Wednesday. Needless to say, I was tired and sore all week. My new goal for race day was to finish in under 32 minutes. 
I had never run this course before and didn't quite know what to expect. I knew there were some hills, but that was about it. It was definitely warmer than I would have liked it to be, and once we started I heated up pretty quick. The course itself was a pretty one, but there was very little shade. I started to get really hot, and I did something I've never done before in a 5k...I walked through both water stops. I was not prepared for the heat, and I don't feel bad about stopping for water. Like I said, I had been training hard leading up to this race and I just needed some water. All in all, it was a fun race and I'm happy with the effort I put into it. I may have gone out a little too fast, but I did my best and that's all that matters. My official time was 31:45, even with the walking. And no, I didn't beat the nun. I did hit my secondary goal of under 32 minutes though. Woo hoo!

For the next few months, I'm going to work hard to get faster. I don't know when I'll be racing next, but I'll be signing up for the Bluegrass 10k on the Fourth of July for sure. I can't wait. I love that race!

Hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment