Saturday, February 1, 2014

It's All About Pacing Yourself

Remember how I've signed up for two races; One 7 mile race and one half marathon?  Remember how I said the Run the Bluegrass half marathon is extremely challenging, but
"I still wanted to participate in this race because it's just a great atmosphere and the organization is top notch. Rather than shred my legs, I opted for the 7 mile "Rookie's Run"."?
Well, forget everything I said. I mean, I also said I was just going train to run a sub 30 5K too, and look how that turned out!
So, let me explain where I'm going with this. I did indeed sign up for the RtB 7 mile "Rookie's Run". I made a training plan and everything, keeping in mind that I want to run a 2:20:00(trying to PR) half marathon at the Derby Festival mini 3 weeks later. I figured this would be a great prep race for the half. Anyway, a couple weeks ago while I was in Wisconsin, I got a message from a great running friend and mentor. She was to be a Pace Team Leader for Run the Bluegrass, pacing the 2:45:00 group. She messaged me because she felt that at the time, she didn't want the pressure of finishing at that pace, and asked me if I could fill her spot. So, after some deliberation, I said I would.


Now, I'm sure you're asking, what does that mean? First of all, it means that I'm running the full 13.1 mile course. Second, I will be aiming to run a steady pace of 12:35/mile in order to finish at 2:45:00. (Check out this pace calculator here) Third, as a pace team leader, I will be, along with another runner, leading a group of individuals whose goal is to finish the race in 2:45:00. Finally, have an awesome time doing it! Pretty cool, huh?
Of course, there are other pace groups for just about every time goal (1:45:00, 2:00:00, 2:15:00, 2:30:00 and 2:45:00).




My training schedule hasn't changed too much with this new plan in place, but I definitely need to hit some hills to get ready for the second half of the course. Speaking of hills, take a look at this course simulation for treadmill running that RtB put together!








The other cool part about running both the RtB half and the Derby mini is that this year both races have come together to create the Kentucky Half Classic. Official finishers of both races receive a special medal, special food and drinks and other amenities at the finish of both races. This is a new partnership this year, and I am so excited to be able to do both!


I'm not sure how I was lucky enough to be chosen to do this, but I'm very thankful that I was. I used to be fearful when it came to trying something new, and I know for sure that if I were asked to something like this before I began running, I would have shied away from it instead. This is just another example of how running has changed me. I'm really excited about training for both of these great races and I can't wait to tell you all about it!


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment