Saturday, January 11, 2014

Not One, But Two!

I know, I know, I'm supposed to be training to run a sub 30 5k, but I guess I just can't resist running long...or maybe it's the bling that I can't resist. Mostly, I just think that I feel like I have really accomplished something when I run long. Plus, I can eat all the foods; and trust me, I will!


So, after much debate and procrastination, I signed up for not one, but two races!


The first race is the Run the Bluegrass (RtB) on March 29th, 2014. It's a 7 miler on a very hilly course. Last year, I ran the half marathon and felt like I was going to die by the time I crossed the finish line. The latter half of the course has crazy hills on it; and they just keep coming, one right after another. I still wanted to participate in this race because it's just a great atmosphere and the organization is top notch. Rather than shred my legs, I opted for the 7 mile "Rookie's Run". What I love about this race is that all participants get a medal, not just for the half-marathon.

www.runthebluegrass.org,

Race 2 is the Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon. This was my first half-marathon in 2012. I ran it with a time of 2:42:42. This year I am shooting for 2:20:00. This is a big race, with roughly 18,000 runners. The course support is exceptional and the crowds are very supportive and encouraging. Plus, part of the course runs through the home of the Kentucky Derby, Churchill Downs. This place is very near and dear to my heart, as I began attending the Derby in 1985 at the age of 5. This is where my love of horses all started and is eventually what brought me to Kentucky 11 years ago this week.

http://derbyfestivalmarathon.com/

Now that I am officially in training, I feel more determined than ever! I joined the RtB training group at Keeneland this morning to eat some hills for breakfast. I ran 6 miles on the course. This is the longest run I have done since marathon training, and it felt great! This time around, I am determined to get in regular strength and cross training. Better, Faster, Stronger. Let's do this!



Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment