Wednesday, July 31, 2013

5 Miles Before Work

My favorite time to run is the early morning. In fact, this girl doesn't run after 9 am. Well, not without kicking and screaming the whole way.  Although, that 4:30 am alarm comes way too early and staying up late happens way too often. With all this marathon training, it's hard to fit everything in. Sometimes the dishes don't get done and sometimes the laundry doesn't get folded, but that's ok. I need to remind myself of that every once and a while.
This morning I got in 5 miles before work.  Not sure why, but I've been stuck in this 3 mile rut for my weekly runs, so it was nice to do 5 good miles this week.
I rewarded myself with chocolate milk afterwards; and it was great! Yummy!
  
Is it Friday yet?

2 comments:

  1. It's not Friday just yet! I am a big fan of fridays as well :) Even the chocolate milk you reward yourself with is "organic and lowfat." You say "yummy," yet I'm a little doubtful. I'm not a runner, but I'm wanting to make some life changes, so could you post a link to the "couch to 5k" program, and, maybe, elaborate on your experience when you first started running? Thanks, RunsOnCoffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, good luck to you in your life changes! Perseverance is key! As far as running programs go, there are several different training plans out there. They are all very similar. Most are 8-9 weeks in length and you begin with run/walk intervals and end with being able to run 30 minutes straight. This program from cool running is very similar to the plan that I used.
      http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
      If you have a smart phone there are many apps that you can choose from as well. They are nice because they give you audio cues letting you know when you run and when to walk and you don't have to worry about keeping track of time. Some apps are free and some are not, it just depends on your personal preference.
      My best advice to new runners is to follow the program . It may seem daunting at first, but if you just focus on each workout as they come, you'll be fine. Also, it's good idea to get shoes/socks that are made for running. If you go to your local running specialty store they can get you in a shoe that's best suited to your needs.
      Good luck! I hope you give running a try.

      Delete